If you have a table saw, you may appreciate that the user to be very careful with its safety when they use this power tool. Even a nail of the wooden board can be hazardous in some cases. On the other hand, the moment of distraction can lead you to be very close to the machine’s blade and cause life-threatening injuries.
The main purpose of this article is to expose the potential dangers of the table saw and suggest the table saw safety tips and techniques. Read to the end, and you will get great benefits for sure. Enjoy!
Also Read: How to Use a Chainsaw
Reason behind Potential Dangers from the Table Saw
Let’s look at some of the reasons behind the possible dangers that a table saw user can leave with fatal injuries.
Sudden fall: If you fall when using a saw, the results can be truly tragic. Accidents of this type occur because the saw operator exerts excessive pressure to push the work piece with the saw, and then falls into the gear lever.
Loose-fitting apparel: Sometimes, clothes can get trapped in the blade of the table saw, mainly if the worker wears apparel that doesn’t fit snuggly and hang on his or her body. In fact, the body follows when things are dragged into the saw and can be very dangerous.
Projectiles: Wood nails, sawdust, and chips can suddenly come off the device at high speed. Only small wood pieces can cut your skin or seriously damage the eyes. Almost everyone who used this tool for many years has experienced same sorts of injury.
Damp wood: It’s always a good idea to not cut the wood if it is not dry enough. The reason for this is the wet pieces of wood can slip, glide, and fade. In fact, the injury due to gliding or slipping of wood can be very dangerous.
Table Saw Safety Tips for Avoiding Critical Hazards
No doubt having a saw is very beneficial. You can make precise cuts without much effort. Yet, this tool is also risky and potentially dangerous. I highlighted some of the risks associated with a table saw. Now, I will mention the measures you need to take to increase your safety.
1. Always Remember to Use a Protective Kit
Always use protective kit such as safety glasses, face guard, dust musk, non-slip shoes, and hearing shield. It would help if you even were careful with your clothes.
Unsuitable or loose clothing should be avoided when using the saw for professional purpose. Moreover, avoid using jewelry or embellishments, ties, gloves, long sleeves.
2. Check Saw Equipment
Don’t ignore to check your table saw before starting. Make sure the knife, blade guard, lock, and spacers are installed or aligned correctly.
Check the full configuration to see if all parts work correctly or not. Make sure that the neck plate is correctly installed and, if necessary, has an ideal slot.
3. Be Careful When Connecting the Power
There is a possibility that an activated connection to the power source will lead to an accidental start of the table saw. In fact, that can be a very dangerous event. So, why take such a risk?
If you are not currently using the saw, turn off the power source. If you need to replace a part of a saw or a setting, you must also disconnect the power first.
4. Check Materials Along with Your Object
When cutting the materials, make sure that the material’s height does not exceed the height of the blade. It will help you not to waste a limb if your fingers slip. When cutting short material, ensure that the adjustable thread guide is identical to the blade.
However, it prevents the material from sticking to the thinnest blade. You must check the table visually to be cut. The cutting board must not contain sharp objects, such as loose screws, knots, fasteners, or nails.
5. Avoid Cutting with Free Hands
It would be a big mistake to cut a section with freehand. Supervise the material through the knife using a measuring device or fence for a safe and precise cut. Both hold the stock in place and help you hold the handle. But you should also be aware of using a measuring device or fence one at a time.
6. Use a Pusher
Sometimes you have to see a board that is not large enough for regular cutting. At this point, you will need a lever to cut the dashboard without endangering your finger completely. Push sticks are available in various designs and sizes in this case.
7. Avoid Fatigue or Boredom
If you feel tired or sleepy, avoid using the table saw. It has been proven that most accidents are due to negligence. Rest until you need to refresh your mind or get rid of tiredness.
Extra Safety Tips when Using a Table Saw
For extra safety, you can have a look at the following facts.
- Do not wear gloves. Loss of touching sense is the main reason, as is the potential loss of grip and the fact that gloves are loose and can catch on a blade.
- Avoid uncomfortable things. If you do not like to make a specific cut with a table saw, do not do this and use another tool.
- Please do not reach to or behind the blade while it continues to work. Although it may sometimes seem safe, it never happens — you do not want to be in the hospital.
- The surface of the table should be as polished and smooth as possible. A rough and dirty table requires more force from the operator when it pushes the wood through the table saw.
- Do not let go of your work piece until you have passed the blade of the machine. If left too early, you run the risk of striking – the blade can easily grab a part that has not yet been passed.
- Remember to use clearance inserts. These things can prevent sharp cuts from getting to the bottom of the blade (after which they make an excursion and launch into the air). Cleaning inserts also reduce chips.
- Keep the floor free from random objects such as sawdust and cutting debris.
You will need to be careful and should do what keep you safe. However, in most cases, most tool-related accidents are due to ignorance and negligence.
Your biggest step with operating a table saw must be your protection. Even if you feel that you have dominated the saw, it is good to monitor your safety.
I hope that this article will help you in preventing risks on the table saw. Stay tuned for the next helpful article for you as a woodworker.